I cannot believe it has been 4 years since you became a part of my life . . .
Being your mommy has surpassed every hope and dream I had about parenting.
I treasure the moments we have shared and the memories we have made!
At FOUR years old . . .
You BOTH . . .
Can dress yourself except for buttons and ties.
Love your Star Wars underwear more than any other article of clothing.
Are your brother's best friend. You fight (like all brothers), but more often you play. You know each other better than I know you and play games I can't even begin to understand, but you both know. You make each other laugh with many little "inside" jokes.
Don't know what an Oreo is yet :)
Talk with very high "mickey mouse like" voices. People often comment on your high voices.
Still take a 1-2 hour nap in the afternoon and sleep from 8:30ish to 6:45ish. At night, you can get up and go to the bathroom all by yourself (generally), although you haven't mastered the art of closing doors quietly.
Love to be read to and love books. We read before every nap, at bedtime, and many other times during the day as well. I cannot tell you the number of times during the day you bring me a book and ask me to read it. There have been many books read in the middle of our kitchen while I get dinner ready :)
You will listen to any book, but especially like: anything Star Wars, Dr. Seuss, books about presidents, animal fact books, books that tell a story about a child close to their age, Curious
George . . . (I guess we like almost everything!)
George . . . (I guess we like almost everything!)
Spend a large amount of play time playing "good guys" and "bad guys."
Run, jump, and bounce through life. (Walking is rare!)
You are both very busy and active. "All Boy," many would say. You are happiest when you are given the opportunity to run and be loud & active.
Are starting to understand games like "hide and seek" and "duck, duck, goose." You aren't very good at them, and will giggle giving away your hiding spot almost every time, but you love to play them! However, we all get frustrated if you try to play a board games like Candy Land. You just don't quite understand the point of them yet & they take too long to complete.
Love parks of all kind. We have many were we live and use them all often. This past spring/summer you both mastered sliding down the fireman's polls (with a couple bumps and bonks), but neither one of you can pump on the swing yet. I don't think there is anything you don't love at parks: swings, slides, climbing, jumping, sand, water fountains, portapotties . . . everything!
Think the going to the library is really fun. All the staff there know you by name and even know what type of books we like. :)
Want me to "Eat you up, I love you so!" every night right before I leave the room. This involves me covering your face with kisses and started with the book "Where the Wild Things Are."
Still come find me first thing when you wake up and want a hug/cuddle when you first wake up. If mommy is unavailable, climbing in to bed with Daddy in a not-so-gentle way is often the backup plan.
Benjamin You:
Weigh 35 lbs & are 39 inches tall
Play most with the entire Imaginex Star Wars set, Buzz and Woody, and Daddy's Star War legos (The Darth Vadar with the removable helmet is the "best" lego guy).
Play most with the entire Imaginex Star Wars set, Buzz and Woody, and Daddy's Star War legos (The Darth Vadar with the removable helmet is the "best" lego guy).
Still choose to watch Mary Poppins if it's your turn to choose. You also like Curious George, Toy Story, and the parts of Star Wars we let you watch.
Still sleep with all your blankies. There are a lot! The original Winnie the Pooh blanket Grammie gave you when you were born is still your favorite. I often find you sleeping on your tummy with your bottom in the air & thumb in your mouth.
Play "imagination" all the time. Even grapes become people when you eat.
Are a very good eater and eat almost everything. You especially love fruit. Blueberries and strawberries are your favorite food.
Know most of your capital letters and about 50% of them you know the sounds they make.
You can count to 20 and then just start counting by tens so 17,18,19,20.30.40.50, etc.
Are not very interested in crafts/coloring/painting etc. You will try it sometimes, but it doesn't excite you or hold your attention for long. You would rather go play imagination with your toys.
Love babies and are very concerned if you hear a baby crying.
Are tenderhearted. You notice others' sadness/pain and want to make it better.
Kiss everyone's owies and even kiss your own when needed :)
Handle your shots and blood sugar checks very well most of the time. You will on occasion complain about a shot hurting, but not very often. You just accept it as part of life. About 25% of the time you can identify that you don't "feel right."
Have minimal fear about trying new physical activities. At the park and pool you go on everything and do everything without hesitation.
Love the water/pool and are not afraid to jump off the wall or dunk your head fully under.
Consistently choose green as your favorite color.
No longer cry when I leave you in your class at church (this has been in the last 3 months). In fact, now you love it. You do still run in excitement to give me a hug when I come to get you.
Love music and love to sing. You learn songs quickly and often sing while you play. You especially like the Steve Green "Hide Them in your Heart" songs. Your singing is generally on-key.
Usually are the one to suggest play ideas to Joseph. Typically he make the decision, but you are the "idea" man.
Can do a somersault.
Think the highest complement is "you are funny." You want to make others laugh & life for you is about having fun. :)
Joseph You:
Tell me you love me -- "Mommy, I love you" all the time. You especially do it when I have spent time playing with you.
Weigh 37 1/2 lbs and are 40 1/2 inches tall
Enjoy coloring/cutting/painting, but are still very "abstract" in what you make.
Really want to know how to read, and are picking up a lot on even without actual "lessons." You know all your letters and their sounds. You are starting to understand vowels and have sounded out a few short words.
Can almost count to 100, and can count by tens. You often ask me what numbers are. "Mommy, how many is 32?" for example.
Ask a million questions about everything! You especially want to know the definition of words. You will ask about words we know you know. I think you do it just because you want to hear how we define it. "Mom, what's a 'car'?"
Are more cautious when it comes to trying something new that you don't understand. Especially if it involves large motor skills. It took you 30 minutes that first time at the pool this summer to decide that you would try the toddler water slide.
Consistently choose red as your favorite color. Also, you just like things that are very bright in color.
Are a good eater, but you are hesitant about "new" or "mixed" foods. You will not eat anything that has a marinara type sauce. You love the dairy food group most: Cheese, milk, etc. You don't eat past "full" and have been know to walk away from a 1/2 finished cookie or bowl of ice cream if you are full.
Ask a lot of questions about spiritual things. You are really trying to understand God, Jesus, Heaven and the whole plan of salvation.
Love going to church.
You like seek-and-find books and puzzles.
You are very interested in American presidents and Star Wars, and know lots of facts about them that I don't know :)
Still sleep with your lovies. You also have several animals you want in bed with you & you always want to be covered up with the rainbow frog quilt (even when it is 90 degrees in your room!). You are usually asleep on your back with your head surrounded by your stuffed animals.
Are persistant and determined. When you latch onto an idea, it is very hard to change your mind. You can stick with acitivites you like for a very long time.
Have an opinion about what clothing you want to wear. I think you would wear your Star Wars shirt every day if it let you. You don't like shirts without sleeves or button shirts, and if I want you to wear a tie, I have to prepare for battle. :)
Your favorite toys are: Dress up clothing, Star Wars toys, and building type toys (legos, K'nex).
Very much seek for affirmation and approval from me. You thrive on praise.
* * * * *
Happy 4th birthday, Benjamin & Joseph!
I pray daily for you.
I ask that God would give me wisdom as I teach you, guide you, and prepare you to be (God willing) men who love God above all else and live lives full of character.
I ask God to help you walk in obedience and that you would have a heart that seeks after Him.
I cannot wait to see what you learn while you are 4!
I love you so much.
~Mommy
~Mommy



5 comments:
Love reading your commentary on the boys and am so thankful for them and the joy they bring to all our lives. I'm also very thankful for their wonderful mother who loves, cares for, guides, teaches and prays for them. What a blessing YOU are!
Happy birthday to your sweet boys! I cant wait for next summer, maybe we can do park dates again!
What a beautiful post Debbie!! Benjamin and Joseph are blessed to call you mommy!! I admire how well you do in keeping track of milestones!!
In all the teaching and snuggling and loving and more . . . you always find time to love them in this way too. Simply sweet.
Post a Comment